In the world of professional tiling, time is of the essence, and every minute saved can mean the difference between a job well done and one that falls short. Imagine having a powerful tool in your arsenal, a secret weapon that not only simplifies your work but also speeds up the end-of-laying cleaning process.
In this article, we’re exploring INSTANT REMOVER, a groundbreaking cleaner that can remove fresh concrete grouting from ceramic, glass mosaic and porcelain tiles. Get ready to tackle the infamous grout haze all while achieving fantastic results – keep reading for more on this innovative product.
Understanding grout hazing
Tile installations can be a stunning addition to any space, but they often have an unseen challenge: grout hazing. If you’ve ever noticed streaks or stains on your newly tiled surface, chances are you’ve encountered this pesky problem. But what exactly is hazy grout, and what causes it? Let’s delve into the details.
Cloudy grout is simply unwanted residues
During the tile installation process, grout is an essential component that fills the gaps between tiles, ensuring a secure and aesthetically pleasing finish. However, this process can leave behind an unwanted residue on the tile’s surface. This residue, commonly referred to as “grout haze,” is a thin layer of grout that adheres to the tiles as the grout cures.
The trouble with grout haze is that it’s not easily noticeable during the installation phase. In fact, it often goes unnoticed or is dismissed as inconsequential. Yet, this seemingly innocuous film can become a significant problem over time.
Why does it occur?
One of the reasons for grout hazing is the necessity to let the grout cure before cleaning it off. In traditional tile installations, grout typically needs approximately 24 to 72 hours to set and cure properly. This curing period is crucial for the grout’s stability and durability, so it cannot be rushed.
The challenge arises because the tile surface cannot be cleaned immediately after grouting. Attempting to do so could damage the freshly laid grout, jeopardising the integrity of your tile installation. As a result, many installers opt to quickly wipe down the surface with water and consider the job complete. While this may seem like a good idea at the time, it sets the stage for foggy grout down the road.
The consequences of foggy grout
Once the grout film is left to dry on the surface, it becomes a magnet for various contaminants, such as oil, footprints, food spills, and more. These substances gradually accumulate on the film’s surface, transforming it into those dreaded streaks and stains we all want to avoid.
The situation worsens as this layer of grout film becomes a stubborn, difficult-to-remove residue that mars the beauty of your tiles. It not only affects the aesthetics but also makes routine surface maintenance a daunting task, especially since fogging can lead to several other inconveniences:
- Dull appearance – it prevents your tile material from shining as it should, diminishing the overall visual appeal.
- Increased dirt attraction – fogging acts as a dirt magnet, making it significantly more challenging to keep your tiled surface clean.
- Promotion of biofilm – it provides an ideal environment for the growth of germs and bacteria, potentially compromising your hygiene.
- Altered appearance – over time, fogging can dramatically alter the tone, texture, and colour of your tiled surface.
The need for a solution: cleaning as you install
Recognising the challenges posed by grout hazing, our experts in surface care have been working diligently to find a solution. Introducing our unprecedented product: INSTANT REMOVER, your trusted ally that makes the installer’s job easier.
This innovative solution instantly tackles grout residue, even when it contains additives, right during the installation process, before the grout has a chance to dry. Using INSTANT REMOVER prevents the unsightly dull smears and streaks that can result from neglecting grout residue removal.
Its versatility also extends to cleaning the backs of large format tiles before they are laid, ensuring flawless bonding. Moreover, it’s the ideal choice for keeping grout floats and application tools in pristine condition. With INSTANT REMOVER, you can save valuable time on the construction site by completing the project without the need for a return visit for initial cleaning.
Where can INSTANT REMOVER be used?
INSTANT REMOVER is a versatile cleaner specially formulated for a wide range of surfaces, including porcelain, ceramic, glass mosaic, and quarry tile, even on large-format installations.
It can be used virtually anywhere, whether on floors, walls, indoors, or outdoors, for both public and private installations. This product is particularly effective for removing fresh grout from textured tiles used in exterior settings.
What sets this product apart is its exceptional performance, not only in cleaning but also in efficiently eliminating any remaining grout residues from these surfaces. This ensures a flawless finish without the undesirable “picture frame effect.”
Other benefits and strengths
- INSTANT REMOVER contains biodegradable ingredients
- Utilises RAPID DRY TECHNOLOGY, ensuring swift action during installation
- Non-foaming and no rinsing required
- Ensures safety for both installers and the environment
- Preserves the integrity of materials and even coloured grout
- INSTANT REMOVER offers extensive coverage
- Compatible with aluminium and steel trims, causing no damage
- Free from emitting harmful fumes
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor applications on walls and floors
- Features a pending patent for its practical and certified formulation
How to effectively use INSTANT REMOVER
Using INSTANT REMOVER is very straightforward – simply follow the instructions below or watch the below video for more information:
Materials you’ll need:
- INSTANT REMOVER
- Clean water
- Sponge float
- Safety gear (gloves and eye protection, if required)
Step 1: Wait for the grout to set
- After applying the grout, wait for it to initially set and become firm to the touch. This usually takes about 10 to 30 minutes, as per the grout manufacturer’s instructions.
Step 2: Initial cleaning with water
- Dampen a sponge with clean water and carry out an initial cleaning of the grout residue on the surface. This will help remove loose grout and prepare the surface for INSTANT REMOVER.
Step 3: Application of INSTANT REMOVER
- Spray INSTANT REMOVER evenly on the damp surface with the cement grout residue. Ensure thorough coverage of the affected area, and leave to sit on the surface for 1-2 minutes (for textured tiles, wait 5-10 mins).
- After the waiting period, use a sponge float to clean the surface. Rinse the sponge float often to keep it clean and remove the loosened grout residue.
- Cleaning with INSTANT REMOVER should only take place during the installation process. If you need to clean cement grout residue that has already cured on the surface, use a different product like DETERDEK PRO acid cleaner for post-construction cleaning, as mentioned in the instructions.
Remember to follow safety precautions, including wearing appropriate protective gear, when working with cleaning products like INSTANT REMOVER.
Preventative steps to bear in mind
Avoid applying INSTANT REMOVER on polished marble and materials sensitive to acid. Before using it, conduct a test in an inconspicuous area to assess how the grout reacts to the product.
If your flooring has aluminium components, follow the instructions provided above for application. Refrain from using abrasive sponges and exercise caution when cleaning to prevent grout damage by not applying excessive pressure.
Ready to experience FILA’s INSTANT REMOVER?
Ready to revolutionise your tiling game? Discover the ultimate solution that will not only supercharge your projects but also simplify your professional life.