When a newly installed floor doesn’t look up to scratch, the tiles are often blamed. Customers believe that they’re inferior in some way, or that there is an issue with the installation. More often than not, however, it’s down to one small thing; a poor initial clean.
After a tile floor has been installed, it should always be cleaned thoroughly, using a quality pH-neutral detergent – like Fila Cleaner – not just with a bucket of warm water! It takes a bit longer but it can make or break an installation!
If you use water alone, you’ll effectively be sloshing manufacturing dust, dirt and grout residues across the surface of the tiles. Once the floor is dry, the film of residue – or ‘grout haze’ – will become visible. Then, when you seal the tiles, this residue will become sandwiched between the tile’s surface and the sealant. As well as ruining the look of the installation, it will also store up problems for the future:
- The sealant won’t be able to absorb properly into the tile, so its performance will be compromised.
- Dirt will be built-up on the surface more quickly, making the problem even worse.
To avoid these problems, always ensure that the floor is cleaned properly after installation. Here’s how:
- Dilute Fila Cleaner 1:30 with warm water.
- Apply with a single-disc floor cleaner, with a soft white or beige disc, or with a floor scrubbing brush.
- Vacuum or sweep up any residue and rinse the floor with clean water.
Fila Cleaner is a universal pH-neutral cleaner, so it’s safe to use on all natural materials, including acid sensitive polished stone and agglomerates.
For more advice on cleaning, sealing and maintenance, please contact Fila UK’s Technical Helpline on tel. 01584 877286, email [email protected] or visit filasolutions.com